- My presentation
- A Google Cultural Institute introduction to the disability rights movement for which I was the lead writer.
EUGENICS IN WISCONSIN
- Persons sterilized in Wisconsin from 1931-1933 (499 individuals. Author advocates continuing).
- By Frank C. Richmond, State Director of Psychiatric Field Services, 1934
- How do you know if someone is "degenerate?"
- Go to an institution and observe
- A thesis submitted for the Degree of Master of Arts in the State University, Madison, Wis, 1918.
- Anne Rugg, One Hundred Years of Public Care for People With Mental Retardation in Wisconsin, 1871-1971, for Wisconsin Council on Developmental Disabilities and an MA at UWM.
- Eugenics and Institutionalization are always intertwined.
- Wisconsin Sterilization Act: 1913-1963 (repealed 1978)
Images from Reske's article: 1) Men with pro-eugenics signs. 2) Women posing with gambling machines.
How do we reckon with this history?
Resources assembled with assistance from Kit Mead, my RA for this project.